Search Our Catalog
About the Library
History & Genealogy
Shared Intelligence, Wisdom
What is Minerva?
Minerva is a consortium of more than 85 Maine libraries,
including public, academic, school, and special libraries.
Creating a statewide "library without walls" that eliminates
geographic and socio-economic barriers, Minerva provides
access to more than six million library items. Minerva
improves library services for participating libraries and
their patrons through automation and collaborative projects.
Minerva was originally an initiative of the Maine Info
Net Project, approved by Maine voters in the June 1996 bond
referendum, to support improved library cooperation for the
benefit of Maine citizens. Minerva is a key participant in
the MaineCat, a Statewide Catalog, which includes the Maine
State Library, University of Maine libraries, Portland
Public Library, Bangor Public Library, the SOLAR libraries,
and Bates, Bowdoin, and Colby Colleges.
Minerva, Roman goddess of wisdom and war, represented
broad intellectual interests in the arts and sciences. She
had a special interest in spinning and weaving, symbolizing
the power of networking. Both in war and in peace, Minerva
was kept informed by an owl that flew intelligence-gathering
missions. Networking, shared intelligence, wisdom -- that is
Benefits to Library Patrons
- A library without walls
Minerva catalog includes over six million items
- not only books but also DVDs, audiobooks,
magazines, and music CDs. You can search the catalog
by author, title, subject, keyword, and material
- If an item is not available in Minerva, you can
the statewide library catalog, from the Minerva
catalog and directly request MaineCat materials.
MaineCat libraries include college, universities,
and public libraries across the state.
- Improved services
- You may renew your own materials and view your
library account online through the catalog or
through your library's web page. Additionally, you
can search and independently request materials from
the Minerva or MaineCat catalogs.
- Books and more - faster!
- Materials that you request are delivered
directly to your library. Minerva employs a
statewide delivery service, which shortens delivery
time and reduces postage costs. This service is
subsidized by Minerva.
- The world of information at your fingertips
- Thousands of magazines, newspapers, and
reference books are available at any computer in the
State of Maine through the online resources of
Maine's virtual library , MARVEL ! Talk to your
librarian about easy access to this great resource.
Back to Top
Requesting Materials Online
- Search the Minerva
catalog for the item or items you want.
- If you find it, click the "Request" button.
- Type in your name and your library card number.
- We will call you when your item or items arrive here.
- If there is no library within Minerva that owns the item
you want, click the "Search MaineCat" button to see the holdings of
other Maine libraries.
- If you find what you need, click the "Request" button.
- Select McArthur Public Library from the very long drop-down menu
and click "Submit Above Information".
- Type in your name and your library card number (under the
- We will call you when your item or items are here.
Back to Top
Library Catalog -
History & Genealogy -
Community Bulletin Board -
Research & Information -
Heart of Biddeford
Chamber of Commerce
The Franco-American Genealogical Society of York County
Biddeford Historical Society